Sunday 13 November 2011

Something for the dark nights....

Something Old...
This weeks ‘Something Old’ is dedicated to my lovely mum, not only because it was her birthday this week but it gives me an excuse to sneak this classic into my blog. The list is almost endless of bands I could've chosen that she played when I was a child and somewhat influenced by musical taste. Obviously I was hugely influenced by classic crossover bands both her and my old man love from Led Zeppelin to Pink Floyd and the Who. However, it was the more leftfield that became ingrained into me, having brought me up listening to huge variety of artists from Fleetwood Mac, thru Stevie Wonder to Tina Turner...
Yes achieved worldwide success with their prog rock, art and symbolic style and are regarded as one of the pioneers of the progressive genre. Known best for their lengthy songs, mystical lyrics, and elaborate album art no less than 16 musicians have been a part of the group's line-up, including the king of mullets himself Rick Wakeman (session musician toT RexDavid Bowie and Elton John). Formed in 1968 Yes went onto release 14 albums that have sold over 50 million worldwide. They have a huge back catalogue but my choice comes from their 1983 best selling, and best known album ‘90125’ after the band reformed and adopted a more commercial sound releasing the number one smash ‘Owner of a Lonely Heart.
The track itself is now legendry in its own right and has been sampled by many artists from Frank Zappa thru to modern indie outfit Grizzly Bear. According to the Roots’Questlove it was this song that contained the first use of a sample as a break beat as opposed to a sound effect...
Something New...
Myself and my better half @I_Blame_Kate have been lucky enough to land Black Keys tickets for early next year; probably our favorite band and undeniable one the greatest bands around, the Ohio two piece make some seriously fantastic blues. Otherwise known as vocalist/guitarist Dan Auerbach and drummer/producer Patrick Carney, are due to release their seventh studio album 'El Camino' on December 6th. Expect to see a Black Keys special blog that week featuring the 2nd single 'Run Right Back' after the video drops but in the mean time I will leave you with the album's lead single, 'Lonely Boy' and its truly geniusly simplistic video....

Something Borrowed...
The Boss Hoss are a band from Berlin, founded in 2004 with Country & Western style blue grass covers of pop tracks such as OutKast's 'Hey Ya', Britney Spears' 'Toxic' and Nelly's 'Hot in Herre'. They incorporate stereotypical American cowboy behavior into their act wearing stetsons, tank tops, big shades, drinking whiskey and generally yelling "Yeeeeehaw!". The band refers to their music style as "Country Trash Punk Rock" and you may recognize their unique style, as featured on the latest V05 advert with a cover of Cameo's 80's smash 'Word Up'...
Something Blue...
Incubus sneak into this weeks 'Something Blue' based purely on the fact that I went to see them this week in Manchester making it the 5th time I had seen the boys. However negative my feelings for the new album 'If not now, when?' are (as explained in detail in: something for granted) I bit the bullet and crossed my fingers that they would play a fair amount of their old skool material as they are one of my favorite bands of all time (explained at length in a band special: are you in(cubus)). I can confirm that they didn't disappoint and mid set dropped the utterally brilliant 'Vitamin' from 'S.C.I.E.N.C.E' and came back on for their encore with a blistering version of 'Certain Shade of Green', enjoy...
   

No comments:

Post a Comment