Wednesday 31 August 2011

Something for the end of the festival season...

Reading festival special...


Last weekends August bank holiday is the first I havn't been at a festival of sorts since I was 15; having done London's Notting Hill Carnival and Liverpool's Matthew Street Festival the last 2 years and 9 consecutive Reading festivals previously. Thus, understandably, the Carling weekend festival at Reading/ Leeds will always hold a special place in my heart and, for me signals the end of the major festival season (yes I am aware its Bestival in a fortnight!). In previous years I have seen some of my all time heroes play there including the likes of Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, Incubus, Blur, Smashing Pumpkins and the Pixies so I dedicate this weeks blog to that very festival and its infamous yellow poster... 


Something Old...
NYC three piece Interpol are one of the few bands on my list of 'yet to see live before I die' alongside Radiohead and Kasabian and if the majority of these years lineup wasn't so gash I may well have ticked them off the list. Taking to main the main stage on Sunday night at Reading before Elbow and Muse. To choose a stand out track is a pretty tough decision. It could’ve been almost anything from 2002’s awesome debut ‘Turn on the Bright Lights’ such as the classics ‘Obstacle 1’, ‘PDA’ or ‘Roland’ to the 2nd to last, but means least 07’s ‘Our love to admire’. This album includes the brilliant ‘Pioneer to the falls’, ‘Mammoth’, ‘No I in threesome’ and the anthem, ‘The Heinrich Maneuver’.
The last, self titled album released late last year really disappointed me and was very samey, truth be told with the exception of a few tracks including the single ‘Barricade’ - so I am going to choose a track from my favourite album, the stunning 2004’s ‘Antics’ featuring the anthemic ‘Slow Hands’, C’mere’ and the epic ‘Evil’, turn it up loud and unwind....

Something New...
Reading and Leeds' festival for me is always leaps and bounds ahead of most other festivals with top quality new bands on their bill (glasto aside), this year being no exception with Naked and Famous, Pulled apart by horses, the Joy Formidable, Dizraeli, Everything Everything and the brilliant Warpaint all with top slots and didn't disappoint with great live performances.
Ever since my mate Dave told me about them a few years ago, I have been in love with the LA art rock 4 piece girl band Warpaint consisting of front lady Emily, Theresa on lead, Jenny Lee on bass and Stella on drums. They released there debut album ‘The Fool’ in 2010, described by the RHCP’s Flea as a “sublime and beautiful record” and Anthony Keidis who described the band as most promising on the LA scene. The album is a joy to the earbuds and features the brilliant singles ‘Shadows’ and the awesome ‘Undertow’, enjoy...



Something Borrowed...
With both the Strokes (click to see my Strokes blog) and Pulp headlining Saturday at this years Reading, both of which who I have been lucky enough to see headline that very same stage in previous years it had to be this track that I choose as this weeks 'borrowed'. The main stage audience of around 60,000 strong were treated as Pulp's legendary front man Jarvis Cocker joined the Strokes' Julian Casablancas on stage during their set for a rare performance to cover the Cars 1978's anthem 'Just What I needed', turn it up loud....


Something Blue...
Unfortunately the sad news that what of my favorite bands Jane's Addiction were forced to cancel there Reading show at the last minute as Perry lost his voice. The band have two rock legends front man Perry Farrell and one of the worlds greatest guitarist's Dave Navarro who are always put on a awesome live show. The band thats line-up at one time included RHCP’s Flea and GnR’s Duff McKagab, their 1st tour saw them open for Iggy Pop and the Ramones, host their own US festival Lollapalooza that has including bands such as incubus and NiN.

Its another tough one to choose a track with such a quality back catalogue dating back over 20 years including so much from the controversial ‘Mountain Song’ to the epic smash hits ‘Been Caught Stealing’, ‘Superhero’ and ‘Stop!’. 
For me, though it was around the time Strays was released in 2002 when I fell in love with the band, all the sexuality/ nudity still present but without the violent side. With there live show being somewhat of a “Sexual Psycho Circus”, it only seems right to choose the bands biggest single to date ‘Just because’, for that very reason...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment