Monday 2 May 2011

Something for Bank holiday aftermath...

Apologies for the lack of blogging over the past fortnight but me and the mrs have mostly been busy having the time of my life with our mates in LDN; hobknobbing with minor celebs and baking my skin in the sunshine whilst still finding time to fit in maninading my liver with fruit based cider and gorgeing upon various bbqed farmyard animals with the lads up north....but its back to reality and on with the show!!!
 
Something Old...
If like me, your sick to death of the Rule Brittania b*llocks brought about by the royal wedding (albeit I did LOVE the extra day off work!) brace yourself t'internet lovers and except a new backlash from the grand old U S of gaaaaaaaaaaay. On the day they announce the death of Osama Bin Laden, I thought what better way to celebrate the occasional in the most anti-conventional way I thought possible.
Jane's Addiction for me have to be one of the greatest bands of the 90's, fronted by the utterly camp and alround brilliant frontman Perry Farrel and the genius that is Dave Navarro on lead, their debut album seeing them open for Iggy Pop and the Ramones. Taken from the 1990 2nd studio album 'Ritual de lo Habitual' the massive alt rock anthem 'Been caught stealing' for me, somes up the day through Farrel's brilliant lazy coloquial pronunciation of the opening line "BIN(Laden) CAUGHT stealing", it worked in my head, OK? any excuse 'ey!, neverless enjoy it...

Something New...
The utterly genius, pioneers of white boy hip hop, the Beastie boys are back! You can hear the entire new album, 'Hot Sauce Committee Part Two', props to St.Helens finest hip hop honky Mr.Kelly for making me aware of this fact :D
The band that brought you anthems like 'Sabotage', 'Ch-Check it out', 'Intergalactic', 'Girls' and MANY more never miss a beat and I'm sure you'll agree that the new album is as fresh as they evere were. Dropping tomorrow (May 3rd), make sure you take a look at the video for the 1st single 'Make some Noise'. The concept for which see the band revisit their classic 'Fight For Your Right' aftermath and pits a star studded cameos from Seth Rogen, Danny McBride, Elijah Wood, Will Ferrell, Jack Black and John C. Riley playing the Beastie's at various stages of 'Back to the Future'-esque timetravel...genius!

Something Borrowed...
In a shabby atempt to say my 'Last Goodbye' the bank holiday weekends and back down to reality, I hope this cover by the well known actress and alround ultra beautiful Scarlett Johansson brings a smile to your face. 
Litterally a day older than myself, the stunning Johansson is most famous as an actress with a CV boasting 'The Horse Whisperer', 'Lost in Translation' and everyones comicbook crush in 'Ironman 2'. However, she has turned her hand to the music biz in recent years, working alongside the legendry Pete Yorn on the album 'Breakup' but predominately doing covers. Her haunting voice and cool attitude mean for me, she has suceeded were many others have failed in sucessfully covering a Jeff Buckley track, not only a track but my personal favourite from 'Grace'. Need I remind you of X Factor winner Alexandra Burke (albeit a Leonard Cohen origional the arrangement was Buckley's) murdering 'Haleluyah'...

Something Blue...

The track 'Somebody to love me' taken from Mark Ronson's latest album 'Record Collection' has some how been the soundtrack to my last two weeks, essentially lyrically steeped in the 'blue' section its still guarenteed to bring a smile to your face. The album was released late last year (September 2010) and see the multi-instrumental DJ, producer and alround genius Ronson perform with his adopted alias band 'The Business Intl.'. The 1st single 'Bang Bang Bang' featured singer MNDR and the legendry rapper Q-Tip of A Tribe Called Quest fame, the albums 2nd single 'The Bike song' which features Spank Rock and The View's frontman Kyle Falconer. For myself, and apparently MANY others, the highlight of the album has to be this song featuring Boy George and a stupidley sick drumbeat, turn it up LOUD and enjoy... 

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment