Saturday 15 January 2011

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed and Something Blue...

The penny finnally dropped to start of my first blog after being inspired by a joint idea from a lazy (somewhat hungover) Saturday morning in bed conversation with my other half. 
As we have already failed to maintain our 2011 NY resolutions she has agreed to start her own 'fashion blog' and I would put my music geek (sometimes confused with snobbery) to good use and begin my own 'music blog'. My almost constant frustrated ramblings (whinging) as to the lack of good music available to the general UK public is, I'm sure, a major bane to all my facebook friends who must be growing sick of my constant posting on said subject. 

As the title suggests, no matrimony of two such perfect partners would not be complete with the traditional values of something old, new, borrowed and blue. A pick of an old classic, a brand new track, a borrowed song (otherwise known as a cover version or remix) and something essenially sad but aimed to cheer you up in an ironic manner i.e. blue, respectively.

Something Old...
The variety of tracks I could have chosen for my very 1st song recomendation was one of the toughest tasks I think I will face in my 'blogging career'. 

Once I sat down to think, I simply couldn't avoid the most influencial band in music history 'Led Zepplin'. Having never officially released a single in the UK, choosing to release 10 pieces of music as LP 'conceptual' albums instead that have sold in excess of 300million copies to present day. Touring throughout the 1970's with their refreshing and immortal sound of blues rock they forged a career as the greatest band in world music until the death of drummer John Bonham in 1980. 
To choose a track it would of been impossible so I thought I would instead opt for the most apt song for the day I write this. 'the Rain song' as featured in the final pivotly emotional scene of Ricky Gervais' first full feature film 'Cemetry Junction' last year, set in 70's about coming of age in a small British town...a must see movie.
 

Something New...
Having outgrown New Zealand 'the Naked and Famous' are my personal and seemingly also the BBC's recomendation as ones to watch for 2011. Making the final cut in Zane Lowe's In New Music We Trust and having received critical acclaim by the 'alternative' British press such as NME they are tipped to be massive in coming months. 
Touring the UK and Europe this year, make sure you check them out if you like this song below...

Something Borrowed...
You maybe mistaken that the UK singles top 10 chart is already dominated by terrible throw-away female pop stars such as the etertnally frustrating Rihanna and Katy Perry and the 'break through' artists (aka disposable pop) such as Jessie J and Katy B and the inevitable x-factor hangers on. 
Swedish indie singer/songwriter 'Lykki Li' has been releasing music for a few years now and her new album is positively mouth watering. The first single to be released from it is a different direction for her and her talent has been praised by many established artists around the globe, with 'get some' being remixed by the uba talented hands of Beck, check it out...

Something Blue...

In my opinion the only way to combat the 'Post XMAS/NYE Blues' of January/February there is no better way than sitting in your underwear whilst listening to someone else that is more depressed than yourself. Look no further than the eternally celebate Steven Patrick Morrisey. Acompanied by the hauntingly melodic riffs of Johhny Marr, Morrisey's beautifully depressing overtones made 'the Smiths' one of the most respected artists in history, my personal favourite band of the 1980s. 
If your new to the Smiths but are blown away by this track, make sure you check out the back catalogue, Morrisey's solo work and Johnny Marr's work with other great bands such as 'Modest Mouse' and 'the Cribs'...

5 comments:

  1. L.O.V.E. the Something Old, New, Borrowed, and Blue thing. Make it a weekly feature! Good choices. The Naked and Famous are certainly new to me, I'm not down with the kids anymore! This is a fun idea, so I'm going to add my own two cents.



    Something Old
    "Try A Little Tenderness" - Otis Redding
    http://youtu.be/dael4sb42nI

    Something New
    "Ship of Promises" - Villagers
    http://youtu.be/OQ6_ValNYiU

    Something Borrowed
    "Mushaboom" - Bright Eyes (orig. Feist)
    http://youtu.be/PDTT5KbdLIc

    Something Blue
    "New York I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down" - LCD Soundsystem
    http://youtu.be/5JkBiP7rPt0



    I totally enjoyed your blog idea Thom - keep going, and get your wife to get started on the fashion one! (Sorry my comment was a mess, seemingly blogspot doesn't allow HTML or embedding in their comments :( )

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesomeo claire! thanku so much for your feedback matey i will now endevour using these ideas to make the SOSNSBSB a weekly feature, end of the day blogging is all writing practice even if only a couple of people read it lol.

    ps you are down with the kids...great shout on the villagers, conner oberst and LCD they should most definately make the cut over the next few weeks!

    pps hope you enjoy naked and famous the album is on my list to next purchase!

    ppps im gonna twist redmonds arm to make her write her fashion blog im sure it'l be better than my attempt. you and sean should get involved in the world of blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Villagers are FANdabidozi for want of a better word - had to include some Irishness of course!

    Dyin' to see what Kate has toi say - DO IT REDMOND!

    Can;t wait for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you've got your priorities right having Led Zep at the top of your first blog article mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i couldn't possibly have it any other way dude! :D

    ReplyDelete